Monday, July 16, 2012

Green Smoothie

I guess you could say I'm a creature of habit!  One of my day-starters happens to be a green smoothie, which I have almost every day.  I truly believe it helps to keep me healthy and strong.  I'm fortunate to have a Vita-Mix, one of my favorite kitchen appliances (I'd be lost without it!).  I dump in all the ingredients and blend it for a minute.  It's quick and easy, and so is the cleanup -- I just fill the empty blender up with water and a drop of dish soap, blend, rinse and we're good to go again the next day!

I have two smoothies that I like: one with fruit and one with veggies.  If I make the one with fruit, Randy will have a small glass with me, minus the superfoods (see below).  But if I make the veggie one, ohhhh, he doesn't come near me for fear I might offer him a taste, at which time he would promptly put both hands over his mouth, slowly back away from me, while muttering something that sounds like "no, no, no!!!"  Then I call him a big baby and I drink it myself.

Here are the recipes:


FRUIT:
4 large strawberries
3/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 banana
1/2 apple (cored but not peeled)
10 walnut halves
2 cups fresh spinach
water to desired consistency (I use coconut water)

VEGGIE (thank you Dr. Oz):
2 cups fresh spinach
1/2 small cucumber (unpeeled)
1 stalk celery
1 piece of raw ginger, peeled (about one square inch)
1 apple (cored but not peeled)
1/2 lime (peeled)
1/2 lemon (peeled)
1/2 cup fresh parsley
water to desired consistency

In both smoothies I add these superfoods (thank you David Wolfe):
2 tsp hemp seed
2 tsp chia seed
1 tsp maca
1 Tbsp milled flaxseed
2 tsp spirulina

CHEERS!!!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Love it :). I have heard those are amazing and what a great way to start the day. Thank you for the recipes too. We still need to do lunch - sounds like breakfast is covered with a yummy smoothie!

Resa said...

I'm right there with ya, my Green Smoothie Friend!

Chel-sie-monster! said...

You're the cutest mama in all of the world!! Thanks for sharing this lovely treat with me while I was in town - xoxo